Nine Decades of Rebuilding Lives and Renewing Hope. . .
Spalding Rehabilitation Hospital's roots date back to 1914 when members of the Episcopal Church opened The Church Convalescent Home in Denver to serve impoverished women and children. After World War II, the Home was sold. Proceeds were used to establish the Protestant Episcopal Church Homes Corporation.
In 1965, after much fund-raising, the corporation opened an 80-bed facility in Denver. Named after Colorado's first Diocesan Bishop, the Reverend John Franklin Spalding, Spalding House Convalescent Center provided long-term rehabilitative and skilled nursing care to the elderly and infirm. From the time the first patient was admitted in 1965 it was clear that many patients would benefit from more comprehensive rehabilitation.
In 1968 Spalding became the first facility licensed as a rehabilitation hospital by the State of Colorado. Twenty years later, Spalding became one of the first hospitals in the country to extend its services by opening a rehabilitation unit at Swedish Medical Center. This "hospital-within-a-hospital" concept proved so successful, that similar units were eventually opened throughout the Denver-metro area and in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
In 1995, Spalding became part of the Columbia Continental Division as its parent company, HealthONE, agreed to a joint venture with Columbia/HCA Healthcare Corporation, the nation's largest healthcare provider. Today we are known as HCA/HealthONE Spalding Rehabilitation Hospital.
Spalding History Time Line
- 1914 — Spalding began as the Church Convalescent Home Supported by the Episcopal Church.
- 1968 — First Facility in Colorado licensed as a Rehabilitation Hospital.
- 1970 — Accredited by the JCAH
- 1982 — Spalding Rehabilitation Center changed its name to Spalding Rehabilitation Hospital
- 1985 — First accreditation from CARF…..The Rehabilitation Accreditation Commission
- 1994 — Opened rehabilitation unit at Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center
- 1995 — Became part of HCA-HealthONE
- 2003 — First published evidence-based Research
- 2005 — 90% of the American Academy for the Certification of Brain Injury Specialists are employed at Spalding
- 2008 — Celebrated 40 Years as the First Licensed Rehabilitation Hospital in Colorado